Facts basic and no more stupid discussion
Submitted by Tim Lock (Saudi Arabia), Oct 2, 2011 at 15:50
1) Its not a demarcation zone! Its a blockade sone unilaterally declared by Israel around Gaza
2) The ship was not slightly off your demarcation zone but 72 miles off the blockade zone
3) The ship belonged to some other country, and the passengers to another country. You cannot board a ship in international waters unless its a piracy ship, otherwise its called piracy!
4) The intention of the ısraili navy etc. was not to inspect (why would they inspect a ship which would never bne allowed in ısrael) but to halt and divert the ship.
5) Since this is the case, even if this was illegal (to divert and stop) there were several other external means, than boarding with fully armed men. (like ramming or jamming the engine etc)
6) I dont think you udnerstand the right of a home owner to defend his house and familiy by any means avalibale against an intruder. It was international waters 72 long miles off the blockade zone (your ametour demarcation zone)
7) Assume for a second in case theres a reasonable doubt for a country that a ship is sailing full of weapons and explosives heading towards your land and you had a riggt to preempt (thats even not establihes in law) but there was no indication whasoever that the ship had any weapons and Israili kidnappers and hijackers (they took the ship and they took the men illegally away) did not find a single gun on the ship.
And 10 persons are killed and no ısraili soldier is seriously wounded. This is pure and cold blooded murder. But Israel is paying for it by having lost for a long long time Turkey's friendship.
As for Turkey's warnings, yes Turkey warned them because Turkey assumed when the ship entered Israili waters there would be friction and confrontation which Turkey never wanted to see. Turkey at most expected after warning that Israili Gpvernment wont let the ship enter their waters and tow them or direct them even by force towards Egypt. It was not a green light for the murder of its 10 nationals (including one Turkish American) at the hands of a Government which acts as if it has a right to murder foreign nationals even at a hint of a slight injury to its soil or people.
Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".
Reader comments (150) on this item
Comment on this item
Support Daniel Pipes' work with a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum. Daniel J. Pipes