For Harrak: Italian contradictions
Submitted by Octavio (Italy), Dec 28, 2006 at 09:25
Most Italians are anti-Muslim, because:
1) they oppose mass immigration and
2) they are against Turkey joining the European Union.
However, Italian foreign policy contradicts domestic attitudes towards Muslims, because:
1) Former Italian leader Giulio Andreotti was a keen supporter of the Palestinians, and Italy was the first country to recognize the PLO.
2) Another leader called Bettino Craxi was pro-Muslim and went to live and die in Tunisia.
3) Italian companies do business in Muslim countries.
4) Morocco is one of the favourite tourist destinations for Italians.
Do you see the contradiction? Mass immigration is not welcome, but Italian foreign policy is quite open-minded.
This is the same situation that you see with Jean Marie Le Pen and Pat Buchanan.
Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".
Reader comments (2098) on this item
Comment on this item
Support Daniel Pipes' work with a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum. Daniel J. Pipes