Why? - Because
Submitted by Zahir (Canada), Feb 19, 2006 at 18:30torchwood said "They cannot be happy being believers themselves, they want to force it on others. Why can't religious persons sit back and enjoy it? Live in your fantasy and try to keep your mouth closed about it. Just because you're wrapped up in a dream world, does not mean you're right."
They cant do what you ask because.
1) Religion requires faith
2) Faith has no measurable basis in the real world
3) The adherant looks for signs in the real world that what they believe to be true, is in fact true.
4) They look for miracles. They look for signs that something actually happened, when they wished/prayed/made the right incantation/held their minds in the proper frame etc.
5) When wished for events occur, it is a sign of the correctness of the religious view.
6) When wished for events do not occur, the deity is busy elswhere or has a higher, unknown or indefinable other purpose.
7) One of these signs is that other people can be convinced to see the same thing or behave the same way..
8 When one prozletizes and convinces another to share their illusion, their "faith" is bolstered. It becomes increasing proof of the reality of the illusion, because more share it.
9) Any person can convince themselves they have the right view, just as I have done.
Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".
Reader comments (507) on this item
Comment on this item
Support Daniel Pipes' work with a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum. Daniel J. Pipes