2 readers online now  |  69 million page views

A Little Hope

Reader comment on item: Intimidating the West, from Rushdie to Benedict

Submitted by Blackspeare (United States), Sep 27, 2006 at 16:18

The course of world politics generally follows the 80/10/10 rule where 80% of a population is ambivalent or uncaring about issues and will, for the most part, follow the vocal minority. The vocal minorities are the remaining 20%; half is on one side of the issue and the other half the other side. Which half dominates depends on several factors among which are social and economical considerations. In recent history Islam has been dominated by radical/extremist elements while the moderate Muslim community remain quiet no doubt out of fear.

The current need is to some how give the 10% of the moderate Muslim population a voice with which to drown out the extremists. Bush thought and still thinks he can do this in and with Iraq, but it doesn't look too good at this point in time. When the moderate element becomes the dominant voice, then the 80% will turn and Islam will have entered it's reformation.

Submitting....

Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".

Comment on this item

Mark my comment as a response to A Little Hope by Blackspeare

Email me if someone replies to my comment

Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".

See recent outstanding comments.

Follow Daniel Pipes

Facebook   Twitter   RSS   Join Mailing List
eXTReMe Tracker

All materials by Daniel Pipes on this site: © 1968-2020 Daniel Pipes. daniel.pipes@gmail.com and @DanielPipes

Support Daniel Pipes' work with a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum.Daniel J. Pipes

(The MEF is a publicly supported, nonprofit organization under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Contributions are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law. Tax-ID 23-774-9796, approved Apr. 27, 1998.

For more information, view our IRS letter of determination.)