1 readers online now  |  69 million page views

Ulla Sandbaek promulgates a myth

Reader comment on item: Why the Left Loves Osama [and Saddam]

Submitted by David (United States), Apr 11, 2003 at 17:18

According to Ulla Sandbaek, the Iraqis hate America because we supplied Saddam with weapons, especially with chemical weapons. This is part of the Left's Anti-American mythology.

A recent study by a Swedish group documents that Saddam was armed primarily by Germany, France, Russia, and China. The U.S. and U.K. supplied something like 1% each to his armory. Our battlefield experience in 1990/91, and the current operations as well, support these findings; the Iraqis have used virtually no U.S./U.K weaponry.

Moreover, the EU countries, along with Russia and China, have been the primary suppliers of the "dual use" materials and technologies that Saddam used to create his chemical/biological weapons, and attempted to create nuclear weapons. The delivery systems, Scud missiles, 122 mm rockets etc., were also supplied by our "morally superior" friends in Eurasia.

So, if the Iraqis hate the U.S/U.K. because of our relatively miniscule contributions to Saddams military, about 2% total, just imagine how much they must hate those who provided the other 98%, then pulled out the stops trying to prevent his overthrow.
Submitting....

Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".

Comment on this item

Mark my comment as a response to Ulla Sandbaek promulgates a myth by David

Email me if someone replies to my comment

Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".

See recent outstanding comments.

Follow Daniel Pipes

Facebook   Twitter   RSS   Join Mailing List

All materials by Daniel Pipes on this site: © 1968-2022 Daniel Pipes. daniel.pipes@gmail.com and @DanielPipes

Support Daniel Pipes' work with a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum.Daniel J. Pipes

(The MEF is a publicly supported, nonprofit organization under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Contributions are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law. Tax-ID 23-774-9796, approved Apr. 27, 1998.

For more information, view our IRS letter of determination.)