Muslim Acts of Beheading in the West
by Daniel Pipes
May 23, 2013
updated Sep 26, 2014
Cross-posted from National Review Online, The Corner
Translations of this item:
Michael Adebolajo after murdering Lee Rigby on May 22, 2013, near London.
The gruesome murder yesterday of a soldier outside London by a Muslim convert, Michael Adebolajo, reminds one that throat slitting and beheading are Islamically sanctioned
forms of execution. This weblog entry documents the pattern of non-family beheadings, attempts at beheadings, or threats of them in the West in chronological order, with updates as needed. (May 23, 2013)
- Hitoshi Igarashi, the Japanese translator of The Satanic Verses, who was beheaded at the University of Tsukuba in July 1991.
- Ariel Sellouk – Houston, August 2003: throat slit attempted but incomplete beheading.
- Sébastien Selam – Paris, November 2003: throat was slit twice; his face was mutilated with a carving fork and his eyes were gouged out by a Muslim neighbor who boasted "I killed my Jew, I'll go to paradise."
- Theo Van Gogh – Amsterdam, November 2004: shot, throat slit, and five-page paper pinned to his body.
- Hossam Armanious, Amal Garas, Sylvia Armanious, and Monica Armanious, – Jersey City, N.J., January 2005: necks, throats and bodies stabbed, mutilation of Coptic tattoo. (A non-Muslim was found guilty of this crime; I do not accept that verdict.)
- Umar Lee, an American convert, challenged Michael Muhammad Knight to a wrestling match in January 2010; "my prefernce is to do this in yemen, somalia or pakistan where instead of fighting i could cut your neck with the sword of islam and watch you squeal like a bitch like daniel pearl. Instead i am staying legal not wanting to break the law and calling you out here in america where you can just get a good ole fashioned american ass whoopin."
- Brendan Mess, Erik Weissman, and Raphael Teken - Waltham, Massachusetts, September 2011: throats slit, probably by Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the Boston Marathon bombers.
- Hany F. Tawadros and Amgad A. Konds – Jersey City, N.J., February 2013: shot, decapitated, hands severed.
- Lee Rigby – Woolwich, England, May 2013: run over by car, mutilated, beheaded.
- Ibragim Todashev, who, while being interviewed about the Waltham murders in May 2013, grabbed a knife and stabbed an officer several times, including in the head, possibly an attempt on his neck, prompting the officers to shoot him.
- Palmira Silva a grandmother who was beheaded by a convert to Islam while gardening in her garden in a suburb of London in September 2014.
- Colleen Hufford, beheaded while at work in an Oklahoma food company in September 2014, by a former colleague who had converted to Islam.
Comments: (1) This list is only part of the story of characteristically Muslim crimes taking place in Western countries; others include honor killings, female genital mutilation, and slave holding. These, sadly, are among Islam's contributions to their lands of emigration.
(2) What this list does not cover:
- Westerners beheaded in non-Western places such as Daniel Pearl, Nicholas Berg, Eugene Armstrong, Jack Hensley, James Foley, Steven Sotloff, and Hervé Gourdel, murdered in Pakistan, Iraq, Syria, and Algeria.
- Family-related crimes such as the beheading of Aasiya Hassan in suburban Buffalo, N.Y. by her husband in 2009, after he stabbed her with two hunting knives more than forty times in the face, back and chest.
- Prominent individuals assassinated in the West but not beheaded, such as Meir Kahane and Rashad Khalifa (Theo van Gogh is the only person listed both here and at "Islamist Assassinations in the West.")
Related Topics: Muslims in the West, Radical Islam, Terrorism
receive the latest by email: subscribe to daniel pipes' free mailing list
This text may be reposted or forwarded so long as it is presented as an integral whole with complete and accurate information provided about its author, date, place of publication, and original URL.
Comment on this item
See recent outstanding comments.