Reader comment on item: Muslim Europe
Submitted by S.C.Panda (India), May 19, 2004 at 06:18Dear Prof Pipes,
I propose to quote some of your sentences and mine to add that:
1. They (Europeans) prefer to settle down unhappily into civilisation and senility. ....lack of cultural confidence and offspring.
Average Europeans probably cannot change their lifestyle and their commitment to small family norms. This reminds me of a statement by the late V.K.Krishna Menon who, despite being a bachelor, was strongly against family planning, which only contributed more to perpetuating a senile population.
2. The Muslim immigration will reduce if not stop, if the economic development/well being takes place in Muslim/Islamic countries and all citizens are benefited. After all, poor people will always desire to have a better life for self and family. This desire cuts across the religious divide.
3. In South Asia, I find that large numbers of Muslims from Bangladesh and Pakistan are coming legally and illegally and settling down in India, finding it a free society, unlike back home. This situation has put an intolerable burden on the Indian States like Assam and West Bengal and on the Central Government.
4. Your suggestion that allowing immigration of Hindus and Chinese may be welcome. But the Human Rights activists will scream that this is discrimination.
5. Finally I propose to modify the last sentence of the article by replacing the word "comedy" with "tragedy".
Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".
Reader comments (184) on this item
Comment on this item
Support Daniel Pipes' work with a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum. Daniel J. Pipes