Bibliography – My Writings on Burqas, Niqabs, Jilbabs, Chadors, Hijabs, and other Islamic Coverings
by Daniel Pipes
August 1, 2007
updated Feb 21, 2013
How to respond to Muslim women who cover their face, head, and body? I from time to time take up this spiraling topic in the West. Here's a bibliography of my analyses, updated as needed.
- "Hijabs as Part of Uniforms in the West." DanielPipes.org, 25 April 2001. Documents Western institutions, governmental and commercial alike, that offer a hijab variant on their basic female uniform.
- "Keeping Muslim Girls under Wraps in France." DanielPipes.org, 11 December 2003. Extreme cases concerning children.
- "Death to France?" DanielPipes.org, 3 January 2004. Reactions in the Muslim world to the French ban on the hijab in public schools.
- "Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts Promote Radical Islam," DanielPipes.org, 21 May 2004. The Scouts celebrate "girls committing to hijab"?
- "'A Jilbab in the School's Colors'." DanielPipes.org, 15 June 2004. Follows the case of Shabina Begum to attend high school in Luton, UK, showing just her face and hands.
- "'A Woman's Right To Choose'." DanielPipes.org, 7 July 2004. Notes the topsy-turvy use of this slogan.
- "Europe's Burqa Wars." DanielPipes.org, 25 August 2005. Surveys controversies concerning extreme head coverings.
- "Burqas and Niqabs in the Classroom?" DanielPipes.org, 24 October 2005. Traces the pedagogic career of burqas and niqabs.
- "Niqab Hospital Gowns." DanielPipes.org, 5 September 2006. About the "Inter-Faith Gowns" introduced at the Royal Preston Hospital in Lancashire, England.
- "An Unveiling: Separate, but Acceptable?" National Review Online, 25 October 2006. A preview of the argument at "Ban the Burqa - and the Niqab too.".
- "The Niqab and Burqa as Security Threats" DanielPipes.org, 3 November 2006. Documentation of misuses of these vestments by criminals and fugitives, not all of them necessarily male.
- "How the Niqab Will Enter British Schools." DanielPipes.org, 22 January 2007. Rich Islamists, poor British state, and a surprise twist.
- "The West's First Niqab-Covered Public Official?" DanielPipes.org, 23 February 2007. Traces the political career of Ouafaa Abrazi, a Muslim woman of Moroccan origins who lives in The Hague, Netherlands.
- "Niqabs and Burqas Used Benignly." DanielPipes.org, June 12, 2007. Documents those rare cases where full-body covers do some good.
- "A Niqab and Burqa Miscellany." DanielPipes.org, June 12, 2007. Odds and ends about the world's ugliest feminine clothing.
- "Niqabs and Burqas as Impediments to Health." DanielPipes.org, October 29, 2007. Another dismal aspect of the walking tent clothing.
- "Ban the Burqa - and the Niqab too." The Jerusalem Post, 1 August 2007. Justifies the policy advice in the title.
(August 1, 2007)
For a complementary, non-duplicating bibliography, see "Bibliography – My Writings on Fashion, Female Appearance, and Islam."
Related Topics: Bibliography, Muslims in the West, Sex and gender relations
receive the latest by email: subscribe to daniel pipes' free mailing list
This text may be reposted or forwarded so long as it is presented as an integral whole with complete and accurate information provided about its author, date, place of publication, and original URL.
Comment on this item
See recent outstanding comments.