69 million page views

Can Islamists be charged with 'high treason'?

Reader comment on item: The End of Treason

Submitted by J.B. (Palestinian Territory, Occupied), Aug 19, 2005 at 08:31

The problem in my opinion is that the traditional concept of treason is meant for people who cooperate with hostile countries, especially espionage, while modern terrorist organisations are simply not a state or a government.

But Some countries still have the offence of 'high treason", known for example in Germany as 'Hochverrat' (ยง 81 StGB). It means that whoever by force, or threat with force, undertakes the alteration of the constitutional order based upon the 'Grundgesetz' (German constitution) must be sentenced to lifelong imprisonment or imprisonment not under 10 years. Not only the proper attempt of high treason but also the preparation are considered criminal.

But in fact I have never heard that anybody (let alone Islamists) have been charged for this in modern Germany. I think many Islamists could be charged with 'high treason'. Does the law of the United States contain any offence comparable to 'high treason'?

Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".

Follow Daniel Pipes

Facebook   Twitter   RSS   Join Mailing List

All materials by Daniel Pipes on this site: © 1968-2023 Daniel Pipes. daniel.pipes@gmail.com and @DanielPipes

Support Daniel Pipes' work with a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum.Daniel J. Pipes

(The MEF is a publicly supported, nonprofit organization under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Contributions are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law. Tax-ID 23-774-9796, approved Apr. 27, 1998.

For more information, view our IRS letter of determination.)