3 readers online now  |  69 million page views

ROSO

Reader comment on item: I Attended a Royal Oman Symphony Orchestra Concert

Submitted by DONALD EDLIN (United States), Mar 10, 2017 at 12:09

I lived in Kuwait for 4 yrs after the Person Gulf War ('91 - '95). A number of my clients were members of the al-Sabah Royal Family. On one occasion during a weekend brunch with one of the Emir's brothers (yes, I admit to being a name dropper), the conversation included Kuwaiti customs & education. The sheikh proudly spoke of the advances in public education and how he applauded the influence of western teachers & staff having effected those advances. As he continued making points, I asked him . . . "How long do you think it will take the middle-class Kuwaitis to reach our 'Western' level of cultural maturity ?"

He paused for a moment pondering my question ( I realized I just might have over-stepped the bounds of protocol) and then looked straight at me and asked me . . . "How long did it take your country to reach that maturity?" I said . . . "a couple of hundred years but we are still evolving." He smiled & replied . . . "My Father was still riding camels in the desert just 60 yrs ago - but I know it won't take us 200 years!" He laughed, and I laughed with him.

And - He was correct. And - my embarrassment was assuaged.

Hurrah for the ROSO !!

Don Edlin

Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".

Submitting....

Submit a comment on this item

Reader comments (7) on this item

Title Commenter Date Thread
However Turkey NOT in Europe ... [29 words]Jean-Maurice PARNETMar 12, 2017 12:15237552
Gulf States [80 words]GabeMar 12, 2017 10:53237550
every one likes you mr pipes [19 words]NEOMar 11, 2017 02:28237494
3ROSO [224 words]DONALD EDLINMar 10, 2017 12:09237477
Oman concert [2 words]AnneMar 10, 2017 11:40237476
Can western culture quell the middle east fires? [77 words]Sarah Levine SimonMar 10, 2017 11:23237473
Thank you for a very uplifting article [89 words]PrashantMar 11, 2017 12:00237473

Comment on this item

Name
Email Address (optional)
Title of Comments
Comments:

See recent outstanding comments.

Facebook   Twitter   RSS   Join Mailing List

ADVERTISEMENTS

eXTReMe Tracker

All materials by Daniel Pipes on this site: © 1968-2017 Daniel Pipes. daniel.pipes@gmail.com and @DanielPipes

Support Daniel Pipes' work with a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum. Daniel J. Pipes