3 readers online now  |  69 million page views

Surprised anyone is surprised

Reader comment on item: Sudden Jihad Syndrome (in North Carolina)

Submitted by Darwin Barrett (United States), Mar 14, 2006 at 17:49

Look at the big picture. There are 1.2 billion Muslims in the world. They are all on the same team. They have achieved critical mass and are asserting their manifest destiny. Imagine the world as the super bowl. Two teams fighting it out on the field. How many warriors? How many support troops? How many fans in the stadium? How many fans watching on television? How did they get there? They fought smaller battles with lesser teams until they, their admin, their support and their fans all helped push them to the final battle. Everyone is rooting for their side.

Unfortunately this isn't a game, but the analogy is accurate. All Muslims want their side to win. The Muslim leaders want Islam to prevail; the Muslim leaders are the support troops. The Mosques want Islam to prevail; the Mosques are leadership and administration. The terrorists are the players on the field; they want Islam to prevail. The Muslims on the local scene are the fans, and they want Islam to prevail. All those Muslims watching on television also want Islam to win. That fan base is about 20% of the world population, and it is absolutely normal for members of that fan base to decide to increase their level of participation. Backlash from the other 80% can also be anticipated.
Submitting....

Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".

Comment on this item

Mark my comment as a response to Surprised anyone is surprised by Darwin Barrett

Email me if someone replies to my comment

Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".

See recent outstanding comments.

Follow Daniel Pipes

Facebook   Twitter   RSS   Join Mailing List
eXTReMe Tracker

All materials by Daniel Pipes on this site: © 1968-2020 Daniel Pipes. daniel.pipes@gmail.com and @DanielPipes

Support Daniel Pipes' work with a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum.Daniel J. Pipes

(The MEF is a publicly supported, nonprofit organization under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Contributions are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law. Tax-ID 23-774-9796, approved Apr. 27, 1998.

For more information, view our IRS letter of determination.)