Reader comment on item: Destroy Egypt's Antiquities?
Submitted by dhimmi no more (United States), Nov 13, 2012 at 17:47
Wa'el el-Abrashi"s واءل الابراشي encounter with the salafist Morgaan Salem el-Gohary مرجان سالم الجوهري is great journalism and this is the salafi sheikh with the very sordid past including his claim that he was involved in the destruction of the statues of the Buddha in Afghanistan
I wanted to share with you a few points about this interview
1. There is a new term that is being used to describe Morgaan el-Gohary and he is called el-gihadi el-salafi الجهادي السلفي or the jihadist (but also) the salafist and by doing a quick search it seems that this is a new term that describes an extreme jihadi form of salafism and as if salafism is not bad enough
2. Morgaan makes it very clear that al-Haram wa abu al-Hool or the pyramids and the sphinx should be destroyed as in and read the below as: "Shiekh Morgaan Salem el-Gohary, who is a leader in the da3wa al-salafiyya al-jihadiyya (see above), confirmed that he likes to destroy the Sphinx and the pyramids the same as the destruction of the statue of the Buddha in Afghanistan"
أكد الشيخ مرجان سالم الجوهري، القيادي بالدعوى السلفية الجهادية، أنه يجب تحطيم تمثال "أبو الهول" والأهرامات، أسوة بتحطيم الجهاديين لتمثال "بوذا" بأفغانستان.
This is just amazing
3. Now Mr el-Abrashi and his other guests try to reason with Morgaan el-Gohary and that Amr ibn al-As the Arab invader of Egypt (who is very venerated by Muslims in Egypt) did not destroy the monuments and the pyramids in Egypt then why do it now?
4. The answer by Morgaan is scary: and it is to the effect that Amr ibn al-As did not have the weapons to destroy them but he Morgaan can do it and that his guide is no other than Muhammad who destroyed the 360 idols in Mecca! Then when he was reminded that no Egyptian in today's Egypt would pray to the pyramids or the Sphinx He tells us that there must be idolators out there!
5. When he was reminded that the pyramids belong to the whole world and are part of our human heritage he said that these are idols and idols should be destroyed!
6. Oh Morsi? He is silent about this disaster and clueless as usual
One final point: This past July a certain Llewelyn Morgan wrote an article, (in response to Raymond Ibrahim's article that salafists want to destroy the pyramids and the Sphinx) in the HuffPost http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/llewelyn-morgan/bamiyan-timbuktu-are-the-pyramids-next_b_1673750.html that this is a hoax!
I wonder what is he saying now! But again enablers of islamist have no shame and more Kudos to Raymond Ibrahim
Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".
Reader comments (24) on this item
Comment on this item
You can help support Daniel Pipes' work by making a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum. Daniel J. Pipes