1 readers online now  |  69 million page views

Something even worse

Reader comment on item: Israel's Predicament at 60: World's worst neighbourhood
in response to reader comment: Truth is as a vampire's reaction to a crucifix to Muslims

Submitted by Devasahayam (United States), May 22, 2008 at 11:26

You asked "Khawla, why do Muslims inevitably demand to create their own Muslim nations? Why can't they live peacefully amongst Hindus, Jews, Christians, Buddhists...and on and on?"

Another question they cannot answer is why they cannot live peacefully even amongst overwhelming-majority Muslims; ONE of the several instances below can be explained as "sect differences":

  • prior to 1965 war, Pakistan suppressed a Baluch (almost cent-percent Muslim) rebellion, killing over 50,000 villagers
  • 1971's "Operation Searchlight", where Pakistan government troops (mostly Punjabis and mohajirs) murdered 23 lakhs Bengali (East Pakistani) Muslims (around 2/3 of the total of 35 lakhs victims)
  • Current Darfur crisis, where Muslim-fanatic government in Sudan pays "Janjaweed" militants to butcher also-Muslim-fanatic (the most prominent Darfur rebel organisation is Justice & Equality movement of Khalil Ibrahim, espousing Islamist agenda; also, Sudan alleges ties to Hassan el-Turabi, also an Islamist)--over 3 lakh African Muslim victims so far (since 2004) of Janjaweed
  • Taliban's specific attacks against Hazaras(***), 1996-2001 (last I checked, Afghanistan is less than 1% non-Muslim), as well as continued Taliban attacks against Afghan villages
  • Pakistan's murders of 4 lakh victims in Sindh, 1977-1988--source, 1984 interview of Ghulam Jatoi with CBC's late Barbara Frum (CBC is Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, known in French as "RadioCanada"); termed by Jatoi as "even worse atrocities than 'Operation Searchlight'"
  • Musharraf's 2004 suppression of another Baluch rebellion, which included orders (carried out) to murder almost-80-year-old Nawab Akbar Khan Bugti (who in 1947, welcomed Jinnah and joining to Pakistan over independence or joining Iran or Afghanistan)
  • And, of course, the also-current conflict between Fatah and Hamas

(***) indicated the one specific case of "sect differences"; Taliban follow a pattern about 98% compatible with Wahhabi (the other 2% of their ideology, Pushtunwali dominates); Hazaras are about 99.8% Shias.
Submitting....

Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".

Comment on this item

Mark my comment as a response to Something even worse by Devasahayam

Email me if someone replies to my comment

Note: Opinions expressed in comments are those of the authors alone and not necessarily those of Daniel Pipes. Original writing only, please. Comments are screened and in some cases edited before posting. Reasoned disagreement is welcome but not comments that are scurrilous, off-topic, commercial, disparaging religions, or otherwise inappropriate. For complete regulations, see the "Guidelines for Reader Comments".

See recent outstanding comments.

Follow Daniel Pipes

Facebook   Twitter   RSS   Join Mailing List
eXTReMe Tracker

All materials by Daniel Pipes on this site: © 1968-2020 Daniel Pipes. daniel.pipes@gmail.com and @DanielPipes

Support Daniel Pipes' work with a tax-deductible donation to the Middle East Forum.Daniel J. Pipes

(The MEF is a publicly supported, nonprofit organization under section 501(c)3 of the Internal Revenue Code.

Contributions are tax deductible to the full extent allowed by law. Tax-ID 23-774-9796, approved Apr. 27, 1998.

For more information, view our IRS letter of determination.)